Visa information

We provide free help and advice on applying for your visa and we are happy to check your documents and answer any questions.


Most international students will now require a visa to study in the UK, You can check if you need a visa on the UKVI website.


If your course is shorter than 6 months (or 11 months on an English course), you can apply for a Short-term study visa. Full information on the Short-term study visa is available on the UKVI website.


The Student visa is required for most students applying to study on undergraduate and postgraduate courses in the UK. Full information about this visa is available on the UKVI website including details on the money that you will need; knowledge of English; the supporting documents that you need; and how to make an application. 


A Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) is a unique 16-digit number issued by the University to students who have demonstrated that they are committed to and capable of study at the University. You will need a CAS to apply for a Student Visa.

Some students will be required to attend a Pre-CAS interview as part of the CAS application process. If you are required to attend a Pre-CAS Interview, you will be invited by The Admissions team.

Once you have gone Firm on an Unconditional Offer of a place to study at the University, and you have paid the Tuition Fee Deposit, you can request a CAS from us by submitting a CAS Request Form 2022.

90/60 Accommodation Requirement

Students are required to either live on campus in student accommodation, or within a reasonable commutable distance of the University of Winchester. A reasonable commutable distance is recommended to be within 90 minutes travel time and/or a 60-mile radius of the University campus.

Living further away from campus can affect your ability to fully engage with your studies, and not engaging with your studies can lead to withdrawal from the University and your visa cancelled.

When to apply for your CAS

Once you have gone Firm on an Unconditional Offer of a place to study at the University, and paid your Tuition Fee Deposit, you are encouraged to request your CAS as soon as you have all the necessary documents and financial arrangements completed. You should not leave applying for your CAS until late in the cycle as there may be delays in our processing your CAS request, delays in acquiring a visa, and increased costs in long-haul travel.

Online Pre-CAS Interview information

Some students will be required to attend an online Pre-CAS Interview with the University of Winchester. It is not a test of academic or creative skill but to ensure that they are committed and ready to study at the University in the UK. This interview is compulsory for those students invited.

The interview is to learn more about you and your reasons for studying in the UK. You will also be given the opportunity to ask us questions at the end of the interview should you wish.

The interview will be conducted online in English, using Microsoft Teams; so broadband access and a computer/tablet with camera and microphone (not a smartphone) will be required. It is not necessary to have an account with MS Teams as you can simply use the browser version of Teams, a link to which will be emailed to you. The interview will be recorded.

You will need to be in a room on your own for the interview, for up to 30 minutes without interruptions and you will need the following documents to hand during the interview (you may be requested to send scans of documents prior to your interview):

  • your passport (as submitted in your application) – this should be opened at the photo/ID page

The interview will be recorded and stored in secure location by the University in such a way that it could be released to authorised parties should that be required.



Once you have received your CAS you can apply for your student visa using the UK government student visa page

Applying from outside the UK

Applying from inside the UK

You should carefully read the UKVI Guidance notes before making your application for a student visa. And if you have any doubts or questions about the application process, please contact us.


Graduate visa gives you permission to stay in the UK for at least 2 years after successfully completing an undergraduate or postgraduate course in the UK. You must be in the UK when you apply.

Full information on the Graduate visa is available on the UKVI website

Useful Links

There are a number of useful links below to help you with preparing for your visa application:

Whilst we try to ensure the accuracy of the information and advice given, the requirements relating to visas are complex and change frequently, therefore, the University of Winchester cannot accept responsibility for any inaccuracies or errors in its information or advice.

 This page was last updated in May 2022.